Unlike any other platform that has the same rules for all, Discord is something different. Since it has entirely consisted of servers, every server has its own set of both specific and global rules that every user must have to follow. For instance, Discord will not let you post any illegal content on its any server.
There are times when you see someone posting something inappropriate or see someone crossing the limits; you can report that user. Reporting a post or user on Discord will help you to keep your server safe where everyone can enjoy a good time without bullying or any other problem.
However, you can report a user or post on Discord in two ways. One is simple and straightforward than the other one. Below we have discussed both the ways, and you can use either of them.
Report Someone to the Discord Server Moderator
If you are going to report a post or user on a Discord server, you are required to talk to the server moderator first since every Discord server has a moderator. It doesn’t mean the only person can be the moderator who created the server since it can be a whole team who manage the server.
The moderator of the server has the authority to remove and ban the users. It means they can help you against troublemakers. So, the question is how to know if someone is a moderator or not so that you can talk to them to report a post or user on Discord? Well, you can check whether or not someone is a moderator or admin by clicking on their profile and checking their role.
If you read their role as moderator or admin, it means they are the one you have to talk with. However, multiple Discord servers have their own titles, but all of them work for the same purpose. If you see a person with a crown next to their name, it means they are the owner of the server. You can talk to them as well.
Regardless of what the reason is, if you can’t find a moderator by yourself, you can ask other users that might help you find the moderator. Once you find who the moderator is, you can message them privately to report a post or user on Discord. It doesn’t mean you can report any user you want since you will be asked for the evidence as well. You can share the screenshot of the content that you found objectionable or tell the moderator where to find it.
If the moderator doesn’t help you regarding your report, and you still want to take some action, you have the option to approach to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team directly. Now, you might be wondering how to report someone on Discord by approaching its Trust and Safety Team. Well, here is how you can do that;
Report Someone to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team
If you are using Discord on a PC or Mac and want to report someone to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team, here is how you can do that;
- Turn on the Developer Mode from your system.
- Launch the Discord and login to your Discord account if you are not already logged in to it.
- On the main page, click on the GEAR ICON. You can find it at the bottom where your username is being displayed.
- Now click on the APPEARANCE option located to the left.
- Scroll down and turn on the toggle switch, which reads DEVELOPER MODE.
- Now you have to get the username of the person you are going to report.
- To do that, just right-click on their username and copy ID.
- You will see a string of numbers that you have to paste somewhere you will able to get it with ease.
- If you are going to report a message, you will need its link.
- For that, access the message or post and click on the THREE DOTS that will appear by hovering over that message.
- Click on the COPY LINK option.
- Now paste it somewhere you can access it later on.
- Once you have everything ready, you can send it to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team.
- You have to provide you email and paste the IDs yo have got in the description box.
- Now press the SUBMIT button to send your report. You might get an email from them if required.
If you are using a mobile device;
- Launch the Discord app from your phone.
- Tap the GEAR ICON to access the settings.
- For iPhone, tap APPEARANCE option.
- Tap on the ADVANCED option.
- For Android, scroll down to APP SETTINGS option and then tap on the BEHAVIOR option.
- Turn on the toggle switch of DEVELOPER MODE.
- Go to the user profile you want to report.
- Tap on the THREE DOTS and tap on the COPY ID option.
- Now paste the copied text to somewhere.
- If you are reporting a message or post, go to that message and tap and hold on it.
- Tap on the COPY MESSAGE LINK or COPY TO CLIPBOARD option.
- Now you are ready to submit your report to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team.
- Paste both the IDs in the description box and write a context why you are reporting it.
That is al about how to report someone on Discord. We have explained everything in details and hope you will be able to report objectionable content or troublemaker now. For further assistance, please write us a comment below.
Q: Can I access a Discord server where I’m by changing my name?
Ans: No, you can join a Discord server that has banned you even if you have changed your name since it has your IP address.